From: Nick Kew [mailto:n...@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2018 8:07 AM
To: dev@milagro.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [VOTE] Retire Milagro

On Sun, 08 Apr 2018 14:16:09 +0000
"John D. Ament" <johndam...@apache.org> wrote:

> All,
>
> This is a call to vote to retire the Milagro podling.

+-0.  Subject to change in either direction.

For a long time, this project has not been happening at Apache, and on that
basis retirement seems appropriate.
My past attempts to prod it have met with no response[1].

On the other hand, some more promising activity has recently been seen on
this list, notably with the arrival of NTT folks and an active newcomer who
I've only just realised isn't an initial committer from the Miracl team!

I have been meaning for some time to try once more to prod it and would be
reluctant to vote for retirement before doing so.
I've been doing battle with a failing internet connection, but I've now
parted company with the ISP in question.
So hopefully I'll now be fine to review all list traffic since [1] and post
thoughts within 24 hours.

> Here are the documented problems:
>
> - Development does not happen at Apache.  This is confirmed in changes
> like [1] where you are trying to repoint mirrors away from the Apache
> hosted repository into a Miracl hosted repository.

At the time the repos were created, there was an issue with folks being less
than happy with the level of github integration then available.  I touched
on this in [1], but should no doubt have been clearer.  IF THERE ARE
INFRASTRUCTURE ISSUES HOLDING THINGS BACK, THE TEAM NEEDS TO SPEAK UP!

> - No board report submitted for months.

Indeed, someone from the team needs to take responsibility.
In the early days I did too much of this myself, but it's not supposed to be
a mentor task!

[1] Most recently
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/milagro-dev/201711.mbox/%3C15102433
30.26629.45.camel%40mimir.webthing.com%3E

--
Nick Kew