We have the rule that a pull request must receive an approval from at least
one committer and that they must have test coverage. Both rules have been
broken multiple times. I view this situation independent of the actual bug
but just from the fact that it has been self-merged without approval. About
"but a proper way
would bring this issue up friendly": I don't know how often we already said
that this should be stopped, but there were still committers who merged
their own PRs.

This whole discussion would have been obsolete if the rules we've set up
ourselves would have been followed. The fact that this introduced a bug was
just the little push that brought this topic higher on my priority list.

I'm very sorry for any inconveniences this may cause, but next time we
should just stick to our own rules.

-Marco