Hi all,

Right now, when we build NetBeans, we’re using the javac from the JDK that
we’re using to do the build — so that we’re dependent on the JDK team,
which can decide to drop features.

If, instead, we were to set the compiler in NetBeans the build script, to
nb-javac, which is available on Maven Central and is compatible with javac,
and is used as part of NetBeans already at runtime, and runs on JDK 8 or
later — unlike javac which is tied to the JDK against which we’re doing the
build — we would be even more independent and we’d be able to build for
future JDKs, we would not have a need for a minimum JDK.

The module definition in project.properties of each module could define its
javac target version. We could have a module using virtual threads, set to
target 19, where it would be disable if not run on JDK 19.

The Disco module, right now, cannot be compiled on JDK 8 because it sets
its target to 11, though if nb-javac were used during the build, because
nb-javac right now supports everything up to 19.

So, switching to nb-javac sounds like a sensible thing — are there any
objections, Jaroslav has a pull request.

Gj