On Wed, 3 Oct 2018 07:14:58 +0200
Geertjan Wielenga <geertjan.wiele...@googlemail.com.INVALID> wrote:

> No

YES!!!!

> the Apache terminology is voting candidate.

Just because Apache terminology is voting candidate. That does not mean
it should be tagged as such. I package quite a few Apache projects.
NONE use this crazy format of -vc*. Most Apache release are voted on.

Please stick with common stuff, dev, alpha, beta, pre. For releases
there should be NO additional suffix.

> On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 7:06 AM László Kishalmi
> <laszlo.kisha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I meant: I'm not sure that we need to vote on this. It's more like
> > a beta. Shouldn't we have called it beta at first? Just for the
> > further release processes...

Yes it should be a -beta or -pre, or something standard...

Examples of other Apache release that were voted on and released
without crazy tags....

You can see Votes
https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@maven.apache.org/

No crazy -vc tags....
https://github.com/apache/maven-resolver/releases
https://github.com/apache/maven/releases

Some more apache projects
https://github.com/apache/tomcat/releases
https://github.com/apache/ant/releases
https://github.com/apache/commons-pool/releases
https://github.com/apache/commons-logging/releases

I have never seen any Apache project use -vc for tagging a vote
candidate. They may exist, but the first time I recall seeing this was
with Apache Netbeans. Can anyone find another Apache project that has
-vc tags? If not then why is Netbeans doing this?

This is what I had to do for 9.0. Nasty hidden change of version.
https://github.com/Obsidian-StudiosInc/os-xtoo/blob/master/eclass/java-netbeans.eclass#L17

I have to do something similar for 10.0-vc1. Which I also have to add
some other prefix, as I cannot use 10.0 -> 10.0-vc1 like I do for 9.0.
As 10 is not fully released, there maybe another 10.0-vc*....

On github seems like 9.0 was never released.... What is the difference
between 9.0-vc* and 10.0-vc* ? Which one the release?  Which one is
just a voting candidate?
https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/releases

If you must continue on with -vc tags. Please create another non -vc
tag for the actual release. You can have more than one tag for a given
commit. But really the -vc stuff is just confusing. It seems only
Netbeans is using this odd format. It is not standard.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.