On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 20:31:53 +0200
Geertjan Wielenga <geertjan.wiele...@googlemail.com.INVALID> wrote:

> No one imposed anything. No, contacting mentors and discussing with
> individual people off-thread is not how Apache projects work.
>
> We have a long history in NetBeans outside Apache where we used the
> term 'release candidate' to mean something very different to how it
> is used in Apache, i.e., an overloading of terms. This was a way to
> resolve it suggested by our mentors.

That makes a bit more sense then. You did say in a previous post that
it came from mentors. I did not understand it was advised by mentors as
means to continue how Netbeans releases were handled before the move to
Apache. Or some compromise.

> And, you're not subscribed to this mailing lisy, I keep needing to
> moderate you, I don't know why. But when you're not seeing your
> e-mails here, it means I'm not on-line to moderate them.

I was using wrong email. I have an email address specific for posting
to lists I was not using. Thus receiving but sending under the wrong
one. Very sorry!!! Thanks for forwarding on those posts!

> I apologize for no one responding to those previous e-mails -- I
> skipped over them because I think the right approach here in an
> Apache project is to start a new thread with [PROPOSAL] or [DISCUSS]
> or something like that, i.e., what you're asking for is actually a
> new tagging strategy, rather than for a tag to be created with no
> suffix for a specific release.

I have asked for both, either a change to the current strategy. Or a
simple duplicate tag. Which I felt was a compromise to satisfy all.

> I also don't understand the entire context -- and having everything
> hidden in e-mails doesn't help either. For example, Laszlo created
> this, if you were to create something similar we'd all have a better
> idea what we're talking about:

 I can see about creating a wiki page to cover the tagging of Netbeans.
 Not sure if that will help or not. I just assumed tagging software and
 the various suffixes were well known. I am just asking for things to
 be standardize.

This pretty much covers it all
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle

The diagram enough should be suffice