The point is the Attic is only documenting things which are removed but still
in the repo (in the past)

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Attic

Jacques

Le 14/06/2016 à 19:19, Taher Alkhateeb a écrit :
Hi Jacques Pierre and everyone,

OFBiz suffers from code hoarding. A LOT of that code is badly written, non
functional, or just a bare minimum POC.

Thinking of OFBiz as full of features that would shrink is not very
realistic, here is why:

- If it was broken for years, then nobody is using it and nobody cares
- Deleting things always keeps them in source control for review later
- The whole purpose of refactoring OFBiz is to remove such dead code and
improve the design.
- One of the objectives (at least for me) in refactoring OFBiz is to
redesign OFBiz to be modular with loose coupling between the parts. This
loose coupling allows us to add TONS OF FEATURES that do not obstruct the
functionality of the framework or touch core components.

Look at the files I'm mentioning ... Where do they live? They live in the
heart of the framework and the core applications. This is flat out wrong!
We should never keep code for "reference on how to use" or "it might come
in handy". Even if we do, it should never be in the core framework or core
applications but instead in peripheral modules.

Also keeping non compiling code means confusion for developers. Why is this
file here? Why does it exist? Why is it not compiling? This just puts drag
on the thinking velocity of developers and adds more weight to this already
fat code base.

I know it sucks, but the code base has many parts that suck! We have to
strip down before we build again, it's just a price that we must pay to
keep the project running. You just cannot think in a mess. It's a human
thing!

My 2 cents,

Taher Alkhateeb

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 8:01 PM, Pierre Smits <pierre.sm...@gmail.com>