On 23/11/2012 Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
1. Only new languages, no bugfixes, no other code changes
We add the new languages on top of the existing AOO34 branch, build the
office with the new languages and release the new languages as
convenience binary packages. We also build a new src release package and
add the revision number ... aoo-3.4.1-rev1372282-src.tar.bz2

This is the best solution for me.

2. New languages + bug-fixes or security fixes
The micro number will be increased and we do a normal release cycle.
The src release will contain the revision number in future always.

This could still be a possibility, but only if we need to fix a critical security bug and 4.0 seems too far away. In that case, of course, we would need to release a 3.4.2 with only that security fix and doing so we would include all languages that are ready for 3.4.

1. set a deadline for new translations, for exmaple December 31, 2012
2. integrate the new languages and provide the builds until January 10, 2013
3. test and verify the new language builds asap
4. release the new languages at the end of January

All fine to me. I would honestly have started with what we already have and release it as soon as possible, and possibly with another release manager (so, Juergen focused on 4.x someone else works on the "maintenance" releases of 3.4.x), to test the process and avoid late surprises or policy questions. But if for the time being this is the best solution for release management, fine. Sure, in future we should definitely avoid that it takes this long to get a translation integrated and released. So I would try to use this occasion to learn how we can streamline the release process as much as possible. But let's start to communicate clear deadlines to volunteers,

Regards,
  Andrea.