On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 3:37 PM, Marcus (OOo) <marcus.m...@wtnet.de> wrote:
> Am 01/05/2013 08:36 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
>
>> Carl Marcum wrote:
>>>
>>> while searching for install instructions for mac I found a broken link
>>> on this page:
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/porting/mac/faq/installing/ooo.html
>>> link points to:
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/porting/mac/download/index.html
>>

>> Thanks, fixed. I've also removed some very outdated information
>> (actually the whole section is outdated, Mac OS X is a supported
>> platform and no longer a port).
>

> When this website and its subpages are outdated and MacOS X is indeed since
> a longer time a well-supported and major platform, does it then make sense
> to keep these webpages as part of porting?
>
> I doubt this and suggest to delete the complete
> "http://www.openoffice.org/porting/mac/"; stuff.

We need to be careful.  This is actually a very popular page with many
3rd party websites linking to it and around 4000 visits/day.  It is
also the top link for Google queries like "openoffice for mac".

So I'd recommend either keeping the page and updating it.  Or
replacing it with a page that says that the Mac port is now full
integrated with our releases and then link to the download page.  Or
put in a 401 redirect from that URL to the download page.  But it is
well-trafficked enough that we can't have the URL vanish.

-Rob