On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 4:36 PM, Marcus (OOo) <marcus.m...@wtnet.de> wrote:
> Am 01/08/2013 09:37 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:

>>> OK, then I prefer to use a redirect to the download area.
>>

>> Sounds good. Actually, we can redirect everything under
>>
>> http://www.openoffice.org/porting/mac/
>>
>> to the homepage, since links on the old page include support,
>> screenshots, downloads... all resources directly available from the
>> project homepage.
>

> Then I would like to volunteer to try this on Sunday.

Hi Marcus,

I took a closer look at the data and I have some concerns from an SEO
perspective.

We get a large number of visits from users who query Google for terms like:

openoffice for mac
open office mac
openoffice mac
free office for mac
download openoffice for mac

Try these queries in your browser.   See the porting page is the
number one hit.  For me the 2nd hit is CNet and then we start hitting
malware sites.  We don't get another openoffice.org web page until
position #10 in the search results.

If we redirect to the home page, which does not mention "Mac"
anywhere, then the next time Google updates its index it will see that
as the contents of /porting/mac and judge it to be far less relevant
to queries like "openoffice for mac".  So we then lose our #1 search
position.   And users suffer, because they now get diverted to spammy
sites.  In other words, although you might think you are driving users
to the download page, in reality we'll just drop in search placement
and users will be sent to other websites, not to openoffice.org at
all.

(I should mention that we had 93,559 visits to /porting/mac/index.html
in the past month, and 79,978 of them were the result of a Google
query.  So almost all visitors to /porting/mac are getting there via
Google seaches.)

So I think we should consider this carefully.  Is there anything
actually wrong with the /porting/mac page as it is?  It gets nearly
100K visits/month and appears to drive a good number of downloads.  So
it has content that helps connect users to our website by being
relevant to popular Google queries.   It is considered the most
authoritative page on the entire internet on the topic of "openoffice
for mac".  No other page is as good, not even our home page.  We
should try to preserve some of this authority.

Here's an alternative idea.  If the issue is that this is no longer a
"porting" project, then maybe we could do something like this:

1) Create a new landing page for users interested in OpenOffice for
Mac. Maybe it is at http://www.openoffice.org/mac.  Maybe it is based
on whatever is relevant still from /porting/mac.  It doesn't need tons
of content, but enough to be relevant.

2) Redirect /porting/mac/* to /mac/index.html

3) Delete the old /porting/mac

Regards,

-Rob