On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 3:28 PM, Marcus (OOo) <marcus.m...@wtnet.de> wrote:
> Am 01/11/2013 12:36 AM, schrieb Rob Weir:
>
>> On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 5:18 PM, Marcus (OOo)<marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
>> wrote:

>>> Does it help to leave some keywords on the "/porting/mac/index.html"?
>>> The the Google indexing bot recognize it, redirects then to the new
>>> webpage
>>> and we keep the search hits.
>>>

>> If you do a redirect at the HTTP level then Google won't ever see the
>> contents of the /porting/mac pages.  It will only see the destination
>> page's contents.
>>
>> You could possibly do a<meta http-equiv="refresh>  style redirect from
>> within the browser, but that can be a bad user experience.
>

> I thought about to do it this way. Is there a better way?

>>> Of course.

>>> Ahm, besides totally outdated and no longer needed data not. ;-)
>>>
>>> When I look around there is nearly nothing that should be kept (links,
>>> screenshots, X11<-->  Aqua, release news about older versions, FAQs).
>>>

>> OK.  I am not a Mac person.  Is there anything useful we could say
>> about OpenOffice on the Mac?  Any FAQ's?  Any useful instructions?

>>> Why does a Google search behave different here? Sorry, I don't see the
>>> difference to just redirect.
>>>

>> The redirect would work the same way.  The difference is in the
>> contents of the landing page.  If we redirect to the home page, or the
>> download page, there is almost no discussion about Mac OpenOffice.
>> The old page, even if the content is out-of-date, is still seen as
>> relevant.
>

> OK, so the difference is to leave the keywords on the target webpage and not
> on the one that is redirecting.

Yes.

> To create "http://www.openoffice.org/mac"; with some content helping to keep
> the Google hits high and a big, visible download link (which points to the
> actual download webpage) should be hopefully enough.

The current .porting/mac page isn't fancy, but it does have a central
"Get the latest Apache OpenOffice release for your MacOS X." with a
link to the download page.

I'd keep it simple.  What is the minimum amount of information a Mac
user needs to know?   Maybe, what versions of MacOS are supported?
Maybe anything special to know about installing with Lion security?
That plus a download link.

Regards,

-Rob