Am 01/11/2013 12:36 AM, schrieb Rob Weir:
On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 5:18 PM, Marcus (OOo)<marcus.m...@wtnet.de>  wrote:
Am 01/10/2013 10:59 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 4:36 PM, Marcus (OOo)<marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
wrote:

Am 01/08/2013 09:37 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:

On 07/01/2013 Marcus (OOo) wrote:

Am 01/07/2013 09:54 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:

http://www.openoffice.org/porting/mac/
So I'd recommend either keeping the page and updating it. Or
replacing it with a page that says that the Mac port is now full
integrated with our releases and then link to the download page. Or
put in a 401 redirect from that URL to the download page. ...

OK, then I prefer to use a redirect to the download area.

Sounds good. Actually, we can redirect everything under

http://www.openoffice.org/porting/mac/

to the homepage, since links on the old page include support,
screenshots, downloads... all resources directly available from the
project homepage.

Then I would like to volunteer to try this on Sunday.

Hi Marcus,

I took a closer look at the data and I have some concerns from an SEO
perspective.

We get a large number of visits from users who query Google for terms
like:

openoffice for mac
open office mac
openoffice mac
free office for mac
download openoffice for mac

Try these queries in your browser.   See the porting page is the
number one hit.  For me the 2nd hit is CNet and then we start hitting
malware sites.  We don't get another openoffice.org web page until
position #10 in the search results.

If we redirect to the home page, which does not mention "Mac"
anywhere, then the next time Google updates its index it will see that
as the contents of /porting/mac and judge it to be far less relevant
to queries like "openoffice for mac".

Does it help to leave some keywords on the "/porting/mac/index.html"?
The the Google indexing bot recognize it, redirects then to the new webpage
and we keep the search hits.

If you do a redirect at the HTTP level then Google won't ever see the
contents of the /porting/mac pages.  It will only see the destination
page's contents.

You could possibly do a<meta http-equiv="refresh>  style redirect from
within the browser, but that can be a bad user experience.

I thought about to do it this way. Is there a better way?

So I think we should consider this carefully.

Of course.

Is there anything

actually wrong with the /porting/mac page as it is?

Ahm, besides totally outdated and no longer needed data not. ;-)

When I look around there is nearly nothing that should be kept (links,
screenshots, X11<-->  Aqua, release news about older versions, FAQs).

OK.  I am not a Mac person.  Is there anything useful we could say
about OpenOffice on the Mac?  Any FAQ's?  Any useful instructions?

Here's an alternative idea.  If the issue is that this is no longer a
"porting" project, then maybe we could do something like this:

1) Create a new landing page for users interested in OpenOffice for
Mac. Maybe it is at http://www.openoffice.org/mac.  Maybe it is based
on whatever is relevant still from /porting/mac.  It doesn't need tons
of content, but enough to be relevant.

2) Redirect /porting/mac/* to /mac/index.html

3) Delete the old /porting/mac

Why does a Google search behave different here? Sorry, I don't see the
difference to just redirect.

The redirect would work the same way.  The difference is in the
contents of the landing page.  If we redirect to the home page, or the
download page, there is almost no discussion about Mac OpenOffice.
The old page, even if the content is out-of-date, is still seen as
relevant.

OK, so the difference is to leave the keywords on the target webpage and not on the one that is redirecting.

To create "http://www.openoffice.org/mac"; with some content helping to keep the Google hits high and a big, visible download link (which points to the actual download webpage) should be hopefully enough.

Right?

PS:
I want to get rid of the old content but of course not loose the Google
search hits.

Me too ;-)

-Rob

Marcus