On 4/3/13 3:13 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> All of the above should already be going on today.  But I'd like to
>> propose
>>> one change to our current process that will, I think, greatly increase
>>> security.  This would be to restrict SVN authorization for the code to
>> only
>>> the subset of committers who are actively coding.  We should give this
>>> authorization freely to committers who request it.  But today we have 123
>>> committers, some of whom have never used Subversion, and some (like me)
>> who
>>> edit /site and /ooo-site but never touch the code.  So we probably have
>> 90
>>> or more accounts that don't need access to the source code tree.  Since
>>> such used accounts are unlikely to be following the best practices
>> outlined
>>> above (changing passwords periodically, etc.) then they are even more
>>> risky.  We lose nothing by removing authorization for those users, in
>> order
>>> to reduce the risk profile.  Of course, on request we can easily restore
>>> access.  But the idea would be to keep the bullets separate from the gun
>> by
>>> default, to reduce the risk of accidents.
>>>
>>> One way of implementing this would be to look at all commits for the
>> past 6
>>> months (or 1 year?) and remove authorization on /trunk, /tag and
>> /branches
>>> for those who have not made commits.  But preserve authorization for the
>>> website directories.
>>>

>> With the knowledge I have, it should be no problem making 2 types of
>> committers, but I am not sure it would really fit the "apache way".
>>

> In practice we already have three kinds of committers.  The problem is this
> is not reflected in the way we assign SVN authorizations.
>
> 1) We have programmers who work on the code.  This is a small fraction of
> the total number of committers
>
> 2) We have website content authors and designers who work on the website
> content, either directly via SVN or via the CMS.  They never touch the
> source code.
>
> 3) We have those who are voted in as committers and might access other, non
> SVN systems.  They use their Apache ID's to write blog posts, access Pootle
> directly, or maybe even just the SMTP servers.  But they never touch SVN at
> all.
>
> But today we treat all three groups the same, and assign them authorization
> to change the source code.  That is 123 people today, but I can see this
> easily growing to 150 or 200 this year.
>
> Think if it this way:  we don't automatically give committers a blog
> account when they become a committer.  They need to request it.  No one
> says this is against the Apache Way.  So why would we give someone rights
> to the source code, something far riskier, automatically, even if they are
> not a programmer?  The risk of that seems out of alignment with the

I see also no problem if we handle it more careful and give svn access
to the code on demand only. Nobody should take it personal and we will
do no further selection or checking before we grant the access to a
committer I think. I see no problem here but understand the idea behind
this proposal.

Any serious committer will understand this and will probably support the
idea. Any committer can give the answer by asking the question if she/he
needs the svn access to the code or not. It is not really a limitation.
I don't think it's a big issue.

Juergen