On 3 April 2013 22:30, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 1:45 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Jürgen Schmidt wrote: [...]
> increase

> > I don't think this would greatly increase security, since the current
> > review model would still be the better defense. But surely this doesn't
> > decrease security and doesn't impact on people who are not using it.
> >

> Good to think in layers of security.  An account that is not authorized is
> an account we don't need to worry about at all.
>
> Note:  we have people currently authorized for our source code, who have
> *never* checked in code and who have *never* posted on the mailing list.  I
> have a heard time believing that they are following best practices to avoid
> losing control of their Apache login credentials.
>

> >  I see also no problem if we handle it more careful and give svn access
> >> to the code on demand only. Nobody should take it personal
> >>

> > Before we manage again to make simple discussions complex, let's see:
> > - All committers have the right to have write access to the source code
> >

> Yes, though the "right" is a de jure right, not exactly equivalent to the
> technical authorization.  But one should lead to the other on demand.
>

> > - By default 3 subtrees (trunk, tags, branches) are read-only
> > - Any committer can receive write access to the 3 subtrees immediately,
> by
> > sending an e-mail here
> >
> > This could be fine for me, provided that:
> >
> > 1) We have the right way to manage this (another LDAP group does not look
> > like the right solution: people who don't want to understand correctly
> will
> > invent that this is a multi-level hierarchy while it would simply be a
> > permission that we enable on demand)

Hmmm that I think ldap would be the normal way of handling it, but it is
pure technical and not something the user sees.

> > 2) Enabling write access is extremely simple, especially if this is
> > something that I must take care of! Something like the current "
> > modify_unix_group.pl" scripts currently used for the committers group.

Yes, that is how I understand subprojects. PMC can grant write access.

> I'd do it like this:
>
> 0) Call it "active" and "dormant" statuses.  This doesn't change status as
> a committer, just status of SVN authorization.

+1

> 1) By default the active list includes only those who have made commits to
> those trees in the last 12 months (or some other suitable time period).
> "Ever" would be a fine time period as well.

+1, I would prefer 6 month.

> 2) Everyone else has authorization for /site, /ooo-site and /devtools

Are you sure about devtools, they they are equal to source in my opinion.

> 3) Any committer can be added to the active list on demand.

+1 with emphasis on demaend, default is read-only

> 4) New committers are explained this when they are voted in and asked if
> they want to be on the active list for Subversion.
>
> +1

rgds
Jan I