I'm not clear why a non-LDAP solution is required:

 1. Being a committer is specific to a project.  What it means to be a
committer on a project is very well-defined.

 2. The SVN repositories of the public ASF projects are publicly read-only.
That's a no-brainer.  They are only writable to those who have SVN permission
by virtue of being committers on this project.  That's project specific.
There's an authz file that does it.

Some other SVN repositories are also writeable by virtue of being committers at
the ASF.  That seems to be ASF-specific.

It makes no sense for a committer who is established as a committer of this
project to *not* have committer privileges on the SVN. It's what committer
*means.*

The necessary ceremony was the acceptance of a committer invitation (or being
grandfathered as an initial committer who completed the necessary steps).

If there are now trust issues, I think the proposed solution is ineffective.
If there is a concern about inactive committers, address that.

 - Dennis