On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 11:30 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Thanks, Rob, et al.,

> the

> In OOo we used SSH2. We also limited actual inclusion to code that had
> been reviewed by a small coterie of project managers. This last part—that
> that group of elites was another way of saying, "Sun" or, later, "Oracle,"
> led to displeasure. But not exactly because of the hierarchical system but
> because it was perceived that that system allowed Sun to control things
> while claiming open source openness.
>
> Whatever the merits of the critiques, having multiple layers of review and
> using SSH2 (which I rather like, as I don't like passwords at all, having
> read far too much Schneier) is one step. I'd also concur with the idea of
> scrubbing the lists of nonactive committers. That set would include me. I
> have not made any commits to the code (or anything) in the last year, at
> least.

I generally agree, but it will be important that we describe this in an
accurate way.   A "committer" is someone who contributes to the project and
has demonstrated merit and then has been voted in as a committer by the
PMC.  Some will be coders.  But many will be contributing in other ways.
All committers get an Apache ID and password.  These give automatic access
to things like: a personal home directory on people.apache.org, the ability
to send email from an apache.org email address, etc.  There are other
things that committers are entitled to, but which a separate request must
be made, like a blog editor account or being a list moderator.  What we're
suggesting is that write access to the source code be one of those things
that a committer must request separately.  It would not be automatically
enabled.

So we're not talking about "inactive committers", since they may be active
in the project in ways other than coding.  I'd just describe it by saying
we have committers that are involved in all areas of the project and each
committer has the permissions they need to do the tasks they want to do.
But we avoid giving automatic SVN permissions to everyone.  This is not for
hierarchical, or burocratic reasons, but purely for security reasons.  We
take security very importantly, as befits a product installed and used by
many millions of users.

-Rob

The point here is not to diminish any kind of democratic spirit or