On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 21:04:37 -0800
"Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org> wrote:

> Great, Marcus and Kay!
>
> Yes, "Java Runtime (JRE) is needed for some operations.  See <helpful URL>."
>
> The <http://www.openoffice.org/download/common/java.html> page is a great
> start.
>
>  1. It needs to say "Versions Of Apache OpenOffice do not include a JRE."
>     (The case for OpenOffice.org 3.4 doesn't matter.)
>
>  2. The 32-bit versus 64-bit distinction needs to be covered.
>
>  3. There is some wordsmithing that would be useful before submitting the
> page to any translation.
> (The last-sentence use of "appreciate" is quaint.  I would think the link to
> java.com above is fine, since it provides download links immediately.  The
> last sentence can be removed.)
>
> Is it sufficient to hack directly on
> <https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/download/common/java.html>?
>
>  - Dennis

I read the latest posts in this thread just before going to sleep last night
and made no comment at the time. I remind the thread readers that I raised this
function in the context specifically of Windows _needing_ a 32 bit Java, no
matter what the bitness of the Windows is. I have not run into any other
instances of OpenOffice/Operating Systems with differing bitness - these may
exist, but are rare in my opinion and Forum experience. So  I urge a message
such as

"A Java Runtime (JRE) is needed for some operations using OpenOffice. If using
64 bit version of Windows, a 32 bit Java must be installed to work with
OpenOffice.  See
>> <helpful URL>."

I read through the text at the target URL: my thoughts are that it is
over-complex and (specifically) didn't mention the
problem of the bit-matching.  Remember that our major User-base is of Windows
Users, many of whom are using older machines running XP(32), Win 7(32). I may
re-read the text at that URL later, but can't guarantee it - my central heating
has died and I have to go investigate - I fear it is serious!

Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>