On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 10:25 AM, David Gerard <dger...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 21:27:53 GMT, Rob Weir <r...@robweir.com> wrote:
>
>> Last word, in case the inference is unclear.   We're dealing with a
>> sophisticated serial infringer on Wikipedia.  Correcting erroneous
>> information, which is proper to do, is unlikely to be achieved via an
>> edit war.  Don't bring a knife to a gunfight.   Any progress would
>> only be made by showing Mr. Gerard's own conflict  and his bad will
>> (not hard to do),  and escalating it within the the formal Wikipedia
>> appeals process, patiently dealing with the ministerial types to whom
>> bureaucratic process is dear.  Since Dennis does not want to discuss
>> this on the list, feel free to contact me offline if anyone wishes to
>> discuss this further.
>

> When you're putting together a plan for marketing efforts concerning a
> Wikipedia article, it may help if you don't leave prima facie evidence
> of your coordinated effort on a public mailing list.
>
> Editing with a conflict of interest is not specifically disallowed by
> Wikipedia policies, but ideally it should be avoided. Note example on
> the talk page, where a list participant properly noted his involvement
> when this was brought to his attention.
>
> Relevant guideline:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Conflict_of_interest
>
> You should note also that a "conflict of interest" does not mean a
> differing opinion, and also that improperly founded accusations of COI
> are held to constitute personal attacks and should ideally be avoided.
>
> There are those (e.g. Jimmy Wales) who believe public relations
> efforts on Wikipedia should work to the "bright line" standard, where
> you don't go near the article at all, and certainly don't try to
> coordinate an off-site attack on a Wikipedia contributor because you
> believe they are not helping your marketing. This is something the
> project, and the Foundation in general, should probably consider.

You are not reading very well today, David.  I'm not talking about, "a
plan for marketing efforts concerning a Wikipedia article."   I'm
talking about an effort to bring together evidence of your conflict of
interest as well as your tendentious editing (much of which I have
already collected over the past few years) and use that to lodge an
appeal, via official and public channels, to get a topic ban imposed
on you on Wikipedia articles relevant to this infringement.

Cheers.

-Rob