Hi,

I step in this interesting thread, for my 2 cents opinion.

First I've never heard of an "extremely obscure, semi-inconsistently ir-reproducible bug in
AOo, EO, and LibO that is triggered when "Always create backup copy" is checked."
Even if I spend much less time on the forum for some months, I don't recall
problems linked to the automatic backup. Could you provide some evidence about
that?
NB: I use AOO everyday with the setting activated, never had any problem for
years.

Second, one of the reasons for the automatic backup option not being checked by
default could be privacy/confidentiality: these files are not secured, meaning
that someone could delete a file from his machine without knowing that a copy
is available in clear for anyone having access to his profile. Rather a corner
case but still to be considered IMHO. Except if we can have a encrypted process
(but that's going rather far).

My last point is that IMHO, there is a common denominator in all the problems
with the files, from the ### problem (for which I opened a bug report and still
record all the occurrences I see in the forum) to the pics lost and blank
documents like in this topic. Could we consider the saving process and its
robustness? I remember a time when there was absolutely no problem with save
operation. Then suddenly, the ### issue appeared.
There is perhaps a problem when the new file is saved, okay. But what is not
acceptable is that it seems there is a time when all the eggs are in the same
basket and if there is a problem, then all is gone. Could we imagine a process
where in the final steps there are 3 files: the one in the temporary files and
the actual final one in its save location (same new content) and the former
version of the file (last manual save). Once the actual new file is written,
then allow AOO to remove the temporary file and the former version.
My point is: perhaps having a look at the save process could give some hints on
possible vulnerabilities to unexpected events (like power loss, ...).

Hagar