On 3/26/2016 10:37 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
On 20/03/2016 Patricia Shanahan wrote:
The issue is whether it is ASF distributed software, for which ASF
trademarks can appropriately be used. I think it is and should continue
to be ASF distributed software.
3) We recognize that http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/ has
different areas, and that not all of them should be subject to the same
policy. Just like I don't call a release vote when I change a web page
(the full site is hosted under that tree, so technically I am making a
"website release" every time I update a page), we could recognize that
everything in devtools/ is just a set of tools that we can make
available with lazy consensus and no need for a formal release. This is
my favorite option.

This option does not appear to me to conform to
http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html.

The policy does say:

"Deviations from this policy may have an adverse effect on the legal
shield's effectiveness, or the insurance premiums Apache pays to protect
officers and directors, so are strongly discouraged without prior,
explicit board approval. Do note however that organizationally we prefer
robust, reviewable decision-making over efficient decision-making, so if
you are thinking of proposing an alternative process for the board to
consider, be sure your targets reflect this."

That suggests that a good enough justification for a deviation could get
"prior, explicit board approval". How about asking the board for approval?