Am 10.11.20 um 14:48 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
I think you may be confused... we are just talking about community builds here,
not anything regarding maintenance or modernizing AOO.

I am not sure why you think I am confused. I just say that the AOO report states we will not bring another community version once we have fixed 4.2.0.

And, FTR, I can easily great 2 sets of Linux 32+64 builds: one set built on CentOS5 w/
gstreamer 0.1 and the other on CentOS7 w/ gstreamer 1.0. Is it "worth it"?...
that's the question, I guess. But that decision doesn't impact how we keep AOO up to date
or what features we add.

The difference between 4.1.x and 4.2.0 are much more then gstreamer. In trunk and 4.2.0 branch we have removed the gestreamer 0.1.0 support even it could be easily reintroduced and a switch could be setup. Maybe this is simpler to build a legacy 4.2.0 version then to test the backports of patches.

Also I want to point out that  a release is not only building it. The work is to sign a release off. You need 3 Testers from the PMC and better some from the community for the source code. I am not sure if we can simply release a 4.1.9 binary and omit the source code release. If the community is willed to carry a second branch I am fine, but then change the statement in the report and be aware that it is in my opinion double release work. I am not in favor of this version. In my Opinion we should focus and release one Code base.

If the worth and the discussion is worth is in my opinion depends on users of old Linux distribution. If there are active People using old stuff I am open to support if they use OpenOffice, if we do not find any we should think of moving on.

Sadly Google Analytics does not help on the Linux OS Version. The numbers only distinguish by arch. So we have no rational number that could ive us a base to the question: Do we need to support unmaintained Distributions? Or can we move on. This is something difficult to figure out for Linux. (Mac and Windows we have a better situation.)