Hi Thorsten B.

The specification template is should a support to do not forget
something in a dialog. And there are many things you can forget, when
you have to work platform independent and language independent.

I think the basic misunderstanding between our two camps (Sun people
vs. OOo volunteers) is the fact that the typical workflow is simply
radically different.

That the workflow is different I see, but why it should be? Re-work
costs is painful for every developer or other people who worked on
such a product. Therefore the workflow worked out by Sun should help to
reduce the working hours at spare time. If somebody want to code first
and write down the specification, it's fine for me. But I learned, that
this will take more time as to work the other way round.

I do not want to say, that every developer (internally or in the
community) should create the specification before or after the code
implementation. As you wrote, the most important thing is, that the
changes are documented. Which tooling is used I am uninterested. Use a wiki or use HTML or the specification template. But do not forget to
document all important things - listed in the template.

Currently the team worked out a Writer document with Basic in it. If
somebody can create a Wiki similar template, perhaps it can help to
reduce the barrier between the two camps (Sun and Community).

Absolutely correct. And I'd recommend every community developer
starting to implement a major feature to spend some time on planning &
discussion, even doing UI mock-ups. But we shouldn't _force_ them to
do that, and we shouldn't use that as an all-or-nothing argument for
the spec process. We should request what we really need
(documentation), and leave all the rest unspecified. ;-)

I totally agree.
As I often wrote in this mail and in other mails. The description of
the specification process and the approval process of a CWS or what ever
should help everybody to work in a optimized way. If the specification
(documentation) is written before or after the code is implemented in
a CWS isn't important for me. But if you hand over a CWS to other people
or before you want to integrate new feature (especially UI features) the
specification (documentation) must be in final state.

Thorsten