> OTOH if we didn't use this "all documents" filter by default
> the question remains if it makes sense at all.

Yes, I agree with you.  If "All documents" is not the default then there
might not be much benefit.  A better approach might be to give the user an
error or warning message when attempting to open a file of unknown type.
For example, when you try to open a pdf, OOo displays a text filter
configuration dialog box.  A better approach might be to first tell the
user: "OOo does not recognize the format of this document.  Would you like
to try opening it as a text document?"

Allen