> Thanks for your effort, Allen. However I'm afraid that your
> proposal to default to an application specific filter will
> not be accepted. The issue list you have presented in your
> initial mail already contained some issues that have been
> closed for that reason.
>
> We see OpenOffice.org as an integrated package and don't see
> why the fact that somebody is writing a text makes it more
> probable that the next file to be opened will be a text file also.

Hello Mathias,

Thank you.  Believe me, I don't take it personally.  That is just one of
several proposals in the draft spec and I'm glad to see it get discussion
and consideration.

To me, that part of the proposal is all about work flow and new user
expectation, not about marketing.  I put that in there because it matches
the way I work, and also because this had been requested by others.  When I
use the File | Open dialog in an application, I am generally going to open
the same type of document, and having this preselected makes it easy for me.
I think most new users expect the same thing, and get confused to see so
many files list.

I can certainly see how other people might view it differently, and I would
be happy to have the UX team look at it.

Allen