Thanks, Stefan and Ian for your answers!

I still after an own OSM server which would offer OSM API, OSMXAPI and
a front end with tiles (and rendering).
Yet, I'm still wondering about the zoo of tools OSM is using. I can
imagine that this becomes unmaintainable.
Would'nt it be worthwhile to rewrite everything in a single well known
language (like Ruby or Java)?
Could perhaps be a Summer of Code project.

Anyhow, please correct me about my investigations especially regarding
OSM API software:

OSM-API software used by official openstreetmap servers:
* OSM API Rails Port (Ruby) - :
  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/The_Rails_Port
* Osmxapi code (MUMPS language ?%&[EMAIL PROTECTED])
  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmxapi

Alternatives?
* ROMA - read-only-map-api (Java?):
  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Read_Only_Map_API