On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 11:45 AM, Stefan de Konink <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Matt Amos wrote:
>>
>> "premature optimisation is the root of all evil" ;-)
>
> A premature optimisation would be starting with integers, C, and more.

premature optimisation would be writing something in C(++) when it
isn't the bottleneck.

the database is currently the bottleneck and i'm pretty sure they
already wrote that in C :-)

> Now
> even I implemented a relatively 'old' API (0.5) and started with doubles ;)
> Last night I introduced a comparison table with the 2^32/360 stuff. To see
> there is 10ms improvement per bbox request ;)

what was %age gain? i mean, if its a 10ms improvement on a 500ms call
then it might not be such a big deal. if its a 10ms gain on an 11ms
call that would be fantastic.

don't forget that the rails port also handles user management,
friends, messages, diaries, gps points, etc... it would be better to
say you have implemented part of 'old' API 0.5.

cheers,

matt