On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 2:41 PM, Florian Lohoff<f...@rfc822.org> wrote:
> If OSM usernames would not allow spaces and be case sensitive
> it would be possible to make the OSM usernames an email adress.

RFC 822 is a lot more flexible about E-Mail addresses than most people
think. My username which contains spaces is e.g. a valid RFC 822
E-Mail address if you put it in quotations:

    "Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason"@users.openstreetmap.org

Given the hostname part of your E-Mail you probably know some of
this:) But can you provide an example of a username that isn't a valid
in a RFC 822 E-Mail address when double-quoted in this manner?

That's leaving aside that you could of course just give people
nicknames / send to the OSM user ID if you wanted to implement this.