Dear Wyo,

Graham Jones wrote:
> Last time there was serious trouble with XAPI servers I started to think about
> setting up my own server (at least for a limited area), but got stuck with the
> technology that XAPI uses.

We also looked at XAPI technology and I can confirm that it's a zoo of
technologies. And I won't comment the code quality.

Returning back to your original question: Do you really need the XAPI?
It's currently(?) limited to a small bbox and only one tag predicate
and one bbox predicate per query.

Our "serious troubles" with XAPI actually have been the reason to
build an entirely new solution based on 100% Java technologies:
OpenStreetMap-in-a-Box
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OpenStreetMap-in-a-Box ), short
osminabox. This solution is based on a standard GIS software stack
(GeoServer, PostGIS) and consequently supports the well-known APIs
from GIS (WMS, WFS, WCS). Support of XAPI is difficult since osminabox
is using a normalized schema and XAPI is based on the non-relational
key-value scheme of OSM.

If you really want something like a performant XAPI then we have to
agree on the use case:

If only performance is an issue (given the limited XAPI
implementation) then the "cheap" way is to put a cache in front of a
local or remote server. DBSlayer seems to work currently only for
MySQL. So this is not very helpful here since we need such a
connection pooling and proxy layer thing for PostgreSQL. memcached
(http://memcached.org/) could be a solution since it's a standalone
cache which can optionally informed (e.g. by a db trigger) to outdate
the cache so that it get's refreshed. This should bring to probably at
most 5 times faster access.

Another approach would be to do a complete rewrite of an XAPI
implementation :->

Any approach which uses PostGIS - of which currently mainly only
osm2pgsql does (and osminabox) - would give you a speedup *and* plenty
of query possibilities.

Yours, S.