Hi,

Stefan Keller wrote:
But at least regarding XAPI (as indicated in the thread title) it's
true: Although http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Platform_Status
indicates green/OK, my tests and the remarks at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Xapi#Servers tell me that there's
currently no XAPI server answers in less than 60s.

You're right that XAPI is in this thread's subject, but Wyo explicitly talked about mapping, for which XAPI is not required.

Generally, we view the "data input" side as most important. If we have a situation where editing becomes a problem, then OSM admins are likely to do something about this sooner rather than later because the community absolutely depends on the server being available for this (you cannot set up your own database and use that for mapping).

For the "data output" side, however, the central servers are not critical. Anyone who is unhappy with the performance of XAPI *can* set up their own mirror server by using the minutely diffs we publish - the centrally maintained XAPI server does nothing else. So while it is of course a nice thing to have if people can download all motorways of Europe in one query, this is an ancillary service. If someone wants to roll this out on a large database cluster, they can do that (provided they find a suitable cluster somewhere - but that's a problem OSM would have just the same.)

Bye
Frederik