Mikel Maron wrote:
> Personally, I think that https://github.com/osmlab/osm-community-index
> has picked up a lot of what "groups" were intended to cover (a system for
> defining location based ones anyway).

For me, the big value in groups-on-osm has always been that it would enable
ad hoc communities to form around interests and localities.

I'm honestly never going to get round to the hassle of setting up and
announcing a new community somewhere for UK cycle mapping or for "let's make
National Parks really well mapped this month" or for West Oxfordshire or for
whatever. But if OSM surfaces people already working in this space and their
edits, and provides a way for us to come together, bam, we have a
discoverable community after two clicks.

The second win is that we're all already here. Ask anyone and you'll get
differing views about lists/Facebook/Slack/Twitter/IRC/forums/Reddit/contd.
p94. It's not even consistent within particular interests or regions. But
all OSM mappers are, by definition, on osm.org.

Richard

--
Sent from: http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/Developer-Discussion-f5233107.html