MDL does not want the basic.css theme.  That is why we are moving styles
from Basic:swc's defaults.css to themes/basic.css.  I see that the Maven
plugin doesn't allow specification of a theme, so that's another task.  I
can do it if nobody wants to take that on.  So, yes, move the Button
selectors from defaults.css to basic.css if that helps, but I will say
that I didn't notice those styles taking effect in my local version of
MDLTabsExample and assumed that mdl had overridden those styles.  As
Carlos said, in the end we want basic.css to be compliant CSS so don't
move anything with ClassReference as the value without discussing first.

TypeNames should be set after the call to super().  Look at Label and
MultilineLabel.  They are working fine for me.  They are being used in
RoyaleStore.  There might have been issues before yesterday because lots
of Basic components were setting ClassName, but I went and cleaned that up
although I could have missed a few.

In complex Views, you have two choices:  Make a subclass or assign the
className.  We should try to set set typeNames.  In fact, maybe we should
make typeNames protected.

So, for ComboBoxView, the current code is setting a custom className which
is valid.  Users can then style it further by adding a .ComboBoxTextInput
selector to their CSS. However, class selectors are not pruned by the
compiler.  So in other cases, we have created a real subclass (in this
case "ComboBoxTextInput extends TextInput) and then the CSS would not have
the "." in front so it would look like a type selector and the compiler
would prune it from apps that don't use a ComboBox.  Not sure which is
better/faster,

Regarding Peter's point about Labels in Menus.  The issue isn't that Flash
can't handle it.  It is that our SimpleCSSValuesImpl lookup doesn't handle
descendant and other advanced selectors.  The techniques for ComboBoxView
is how we avoid requiring a more complex lookup on the SWF side.  The menu
code should not be setting typeNames on other things, only itself.  I'm
not sure if on the JS side, avoiding descendant selectors speeds things up
in the browser or not.  We could create an IValuesImpl with descendant
selector support on the SWF side and probably will someday.  Volunteers
are welcome to take that on.

Of course, I could be wrong...
-Alex