Niklas Nebel wrote:
Leonard Mada wrote:
What I really want is an easy way to run gawk scripts in calc, i.e.:
- Calc should open a bidirectional pipeline to gawk (gawk supports this) as described in issue 66816 - (advanced: Calc should recognize the shebang line (e.g. #!gawk -parameters...), and use the correct program, in this case gawk, for the particular script)

This sounds like a nice idea for an add-on component. Everything it needs from Calc (basically just reading and writing cell content) is available through the UNO API.

I am sure of that, unfortunately I am not a programmer (and I am quite bussy, too, in order to learn the API myself). I would be glad if someone could implement this.

Kohei wrote: (regarding the FIND() function)
I would rather it returns -1 instead of 0 if the string is not found.  In this
specific case returning 0 may be okay, but too many of us are too used to
0-based positioning scheme (i.e. the value of 0 corresponds with the first
column), relying on zero for the "not found" condition makes me feel uneasy.

I do not have any strong preference for either '0' or '-1'. While for C/C++ programmers, (unsigned int) -1 is probably better, most users would probably prefer a value of 0. As this does not interfere with Calc (strings start at position 1), it is even possible. (e.g. awk/gawk uses 0, too).

However, the point is, a numerical value is far better than the "Error" message that the current function generates.

Hope this is fixed, too.

Kind regards,

Leonard Mada