Hi Eike,

*A.)* point 1:

Eike Rathke wrote:
I'd shorten that to
B: =IF( ISERROR( FIND( "string 1"; A1)); FIND( "string 2"; A1); FIND( "string
1"; A1))

This still does not work, if non of the strings is found. Tried it, but I get "#VALUE!" for that condition. So I need another ISERROR(), i.e.:

B: =IF( ISERROR( FIND( "string 1"; A3));IF( ISERROR(FIND( "string 2"; A3));0;1); FIND(
"string 1"; A3))

This gets even more messy when searching for more than 2 strings.

And I have another issue to complain about. How many users when seeing this
formula will understand what it should do? I assure you, that most won't get
it, what it actually does.

*B.)* point 2: wildcards and Exel
I enjoy using wildcards in Calc. The real powerful way, not the Exel way. You
see, COUNTIF() accepts this and will therefore break in Exel.
2.1 Why does FIND() not support this, too? [wildcards] [this is a separate
issue]
2.2 IF FIND() is not 100% equivalent to Exel, it is NO problem. We could still
develop the .xls writing module to write the file to be fully (or almost) fully
compatible with Exel. (see COUNTIF())
2.3 When opening Exel files, you can have a compatibility mode.

So this Exel thing is really not holding. COUNTIF() already behaves differently
and there is no problem.

Kind regards,

Leonard Mada