Hello Siddhesh

To summarize my view on the various points in our email exchange, I'm
not sure that current direction is achieving our goal of providing
simplified views of metadata to users. The approach taken so far was to
insert the specialized widgets directly in the tree. It was nice to
experiment, but we can now see the resulting heterogeneity (variations
in the fields layout) in the "value" column. Another complication is
that we do not have a lot of room for putting labels telling to users
what the fields mean. Continuing this approach leads us to questionable
actions, like tables in tree-table - you rightly point out that this is
not a recommended practice. Recent developments allow the users to hide
columns or rows, or change row order, but it does not make the metadata
fundamentally easier for users.

My original idea was to create simplified views completely separated
from the tree table, as proposed in my email one month ago [1]. That
email contained a link to a screenshot of a competing software
(Geonetwork) for inspiration. I proposed a few fields we could select
for starting with something simpler. Some elements of the summary form
would regroup many tree nodes (for example showing all
AxisDimensionProperties in a table). If we implement such forms, some
specialized widgets developed for the tree table could move to that
form. I realize that designing a "metadata summary" form requires some
familiarity with the semantic of ISO 19115 metadata, but we would be
glad to help if we can have a prototype or a drawing somewhere.

In the part of my previous email talking about "straightforward tree",
indeed I mean the tree shown by ValueExistencePolicy.COMPACT (or
ValueExistencePolicy.ALL in edition mode). But we could have links
between the tree view and the summary form. Some nodes could have a
"summary" link which bring the focus to the corresponding element of the
summary form, and conversely some elements of the form could have a
"details" link that bring the focus to the corresponding node of the
tree table.

The other widgets (the map pane, the extent pane, the list of CRS) are
interesting starts, but some changes are needed (e.g. there is no linear
relationship between a latitude slider and a Mercator projection - maybe
you wanted to use a Plate-Carré projection?) and we may not have the
time to connect those widgets to actual actions (e.g. open a CRS editor
when a CRS is selected). Should we focus on the metadata form only?

    Martin

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/97f8b80284797a7347655c3bac870abf5c1d48c21d5aed3494d981f7@%3Cdev.sis.apache.org%3E