I have to go -1 on this. I share the underlying concern about tight, low-level coupling between cuvs-lucene and specific Lucene versions. However, cuvs already shipped as part of Solr 10.0. Pulling the module out into a separate repo now would strand those users for subsequent releases.
Also, this particular breakage is temporary. The incompatibility in the 10.1 RC is because the cuvs-lucene version it ships with doesn’t support Lucene 10.4. I’ve learned that the maintainers of cuvs-lucene have a release planned for December that targets Lucene 10.4/10.5 ( https://github.com/NVIDIA/cuvs/pull/2702), and they intend to keep a regular cadence aligned with Lucene releases going forward. If that holds, users should only need to wait for a Solr 10.1.1 or Solr 10.2 to get a working cuvs again which is not unreasonable. Solr 10.1.0 can ship. Given both of those, I’d rather we hold cuvs in the main tree for now and revisit the sandbox/separate-repo question if we hit a similar compatibility wall in the future. - Rahul On Mon, Oct 12, 2026 at 6:40 PM Houston Putman <[email protected]> wrote: > +1 as well. > > If cuvs gets merged into lucene, so they are released together, then it > makes sense to be a proper solr module. Until then, it belongs in > solr-sandbox. > > - Houston > > On Mon, Oct 12, 2026 at 11:38 PM David Smiley <[email protected]> wrote: > > > +1 to Hoss's sentiment -- moving solr-cuvs to say solr-sandbox. > > While the sandbox has no releases today, perhaps the move of more code > > there will > > result in needed improvements to actually do so. > > > > --------------------------------------------------------------------- > > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected] > > For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected] > > > > >
