Update: After initial reconsideration, the maintainers are willing to
provide a quicker turnaround with a patch on top of cuvs-lucene 26.10
(latest released) compatible with Lucene 10.4. It won’t be a formal release
but they can make it available by mid next week.
Is this an option we are willing to consider for 10.1 ?

The alternative of course is to have a note in the upgrade docs for now and
patch this when the official 26.12 becomes available later this year.

- Rahul

On Tue, Oct 13, 2026 at 1:38 PM Rahul Goswami <[email protected]> wrote:

> > "They would be able to upgrade to Solr-10.1 just
> > as soon as a Solr-10.1 compatable version of cuvs was available in that
> > new/different repo"
> How would they know? Are there releases for sandbox modules? Also, if I
> understand correctly that would require users to build the jars themselves,
> correct?
>
> Also as expressed on the RC2 thread, we don't have to delay the release -
> I'll add a note (to
> solr/solr-ref-guide/modules/upgrade-notes/pages/major-changes-in-solr-10.adoc 
> ?)
> about the breakage, and availability of a subsequent fix in the future. I
> am told we are going to have a 10.1 RC3 anyway to accommodate other fixes
> and possibly the Jetty upgrade.
>
> Reason I am not entirely sold on the sandbox idea is we are talking about
> abruptly telling production users to monitor the sandbox based on a one
> time occurence despite a known timeline for a fix...at a time when other
> popular Lucene based search engines today ship with GPU acceleration
> capabilities for vector search. Probably if this becomes a repeating
> concern we revisit this option then?
>
> @Eric Pugh <[email protected]> That's a good question. I
> did enquire about the possibility of expediting the fix for Lucene 10.4,
> however it seems it entails more work than could be accommodated in a short
> window of a week or two. But they are looking to release cuvs-lucene 26.12
> in December which will have support through Lucene 10.5 (atleast). The
> planned cadence I have been made aware of is a cuvs-lucene release every
> two months starting December compatible with the latest Lucene version
> released as of the start of the release cycle of cuvs-lucene.
>
> Thanks,
> Rahul
>
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2026 at 11:53 AM Eric Pugh <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> On 2026/10/13 15:31:57 Anshum Gupta wrote:
>> > +1 to Hoss’s idea of moving this to the sandbox.
>> >
>> >
>> > Anshum Gupta
>> >
>> > On Tue, Oct 13, 2026 at 00:13 Jan Høydahl <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >
>> > > +1 to move to sandbox. Tiny feature should not hold us hostage
>> > >
>> > > Jan
>> > >
>> > > > 12. okt. 2026 kl. 23:12 skrev Chris Hostetter <
>> [email protected]
>> > > >:
>> > > >
>> > > >
>> > > > The bugs found with solr/modules/cuvs in the Solr 10.1.0 RCs -- due
>> to
>> > > the
>> > > > module depending on a thrid-party dependency that is tightly couple
>> with
>> > > > the Lucene version, but released by a completely different
>> organization
>> > > --
>> > > > is really just a new variation on the fundemental the concerns I
>> raise
>> > > > when cuvs was first added to Solr...
>> > > >
>> > > > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-17892
>> > > >
>> > > > I get that cuvs is a valuable feature to have, for some people, on
>> some
>> > > > hardware, but I really don't think it makes sense for it to be part
>> of
>> > > the
>> > > > official Solr release -- not when it's depenencies are so tightly
>> > > > intertwined (but loosly coupled) to the specific Lucene version at a
>> > > very
>> > > > low level.
>> > > >
>> > > > As Rahul indicates -- we are now facing the exact choice I warmed
>> about
>> > > a
>> > > > year ago...
>> > > >
>> > > >>> In the future we (Solr) may get stuck between a rock and a hard
>> place
>> > > >>> when attempting a Lucene upgrades ...  we will be forced to
>> choose:
>> > > >>>
>> > > >>> - Let the Lucene upgrade be blocked indefinitely until a
>> > > >>>  third-party project ( cuvs-lucene ) gets around to a
>> > > >>>  compatible release.
>> > > >>> - Stop supporting modules/cuvs in what may be a MINOR Solr
>> > > >>>  release, potentially screwing our users who have built indexes
>> > > >>>  using that module
>> > > >
>> > > >
>> > > > I really think we need to move cuvs to either the solr-sandbox, or
>> some
>> > > > new purpose specific 'solr-cuvs' git repo, where it can be released
>> on
>> > > > it's own timeframe, dependent on when/how/if the upstream
>> third-party
>> > > > project (cuvs-lucene) has compatible releases for the Lucene
>> version we
>> > > > are using.
>> > > >
>> > > >
>> > > > People who use Solr and do *not* use modules/cuvs should not have to
>> > > > suffer delays in getting iportant bug fixes in Solr code -- or
>> getting a
>> > > > Solr release with a Lucene version that's already outdated -- just
>> > > because
>> > > > we don't want to release a Solr version with a "broken"
>> modules/cuvs.
>> > > >
>> > > >
>> > > > -Hoss
>> > > > http://www.lucidworks.com/
>> > > >
>> > > >
>> > > >
>> > > >
>> > > > On Sun, 11 Oct 2026, Rahul Goswami wrote:
>> > > >
>> > > > : Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2026 17:08:02 -0400
>> > > > : From: Rahul Goswami <[email protected]>
>> > > > : Reply-To: [email protected]
>> > > > : To: [email protected]
>> > > > : Subject: Re: [VOTE] Release Solr 10.1.0 RC2
>> > > > :
>> > > > : Tried the RC. The cuvs module seems to be broken. Indexing fails
>> on a
>> > > GPU
>> > > > : enabled machine due to API incompatibility between cuvs-lucene and
>> > > Lucene
>> > > > : 10.4.
>> > > > : Currently no available compatible cuvs-lucene version exists for
>> Lucene
>> > > > : 10.4 and is expected to be available by December this year.
>> > > > :
>> > > > : If there is agreement, I could spend the effort on rolling Solr
>> back to
>> > > > : Lucene 10.3.2 where I have validated cuvs to work (which was also
>> the
>> > > > : Lucene version we were on prior to 10.4).
>> > > > :
>> > > > : Thoughts?
>> > > > :
>> > > > : 2026-10-10 20:57:58.804 WARN  (qtp166454155-71) []
>> > > o.e.j.e.s.ServletChannel
>> > > > : /solr/vectors/update
>> > > > : *java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: 'int[]
>> > > > :
>> > >
>> org.apache.lucene.util.hnsw.HnswGraph$NodesIterator.getSortedNodes(org.apache.lucene.util.hnsw.HnswGraph$NodesIterator)'*
>> > > > : at
>> > > > :
>> > >
>> com.nvidia.cuvs.lucene.Lucene99AcceleratedHNSWVectorsWriter.writeGraph(Lucene99AcceleratedHNSWVectorsWriter.java:444)
>> > > > : at
>> > > > :
>> > >
>> com.nvidia.cuvs.lucene.Lucene99AcceleratedHNSWVectorsWriter.writeFieldInternal(Lucene99AcceleratedHNSWVectorsWriter.java:230)
>> > > > : at
>> > > > :
>> > >
>> com.nvidia.cuvs.lucene.Lucene99AcceleratedHNSWVectorsWriter.writeField(Lucene99AcceleratedHNSWVectorsWriter.java:502)
>> > > > : at
>> > > > :
>> > >
>> com.nvidia.cuvs.lucene.Lucene99AcceleratedHNSWVectorsWriter.flush(Lucene99AcceleratedHNSWVectorsWriter.java:494)
>> > > > : at
>> > > > :
>> > >
>> org.apache.lucene.codecs.perfield.PerFieldKnnVectorsFormat$FieldsWriter.flush(PerFieldKnnVectorsFormat.java:120)
>> > > > : at
>> > > > :
>> > >
>> org.apache.lucene.index.VectorValuesConsumer.flush(VectorValuesConsumer.java:76)
>> > > > : at
>> org.apache.lucene.index.IndexingChain.flush(IndexingChain.java:305)
>> > > > : at
>> > > > :
>> > >
>> org.apache.lucene.index.DocumentsWriterPerThread.flush(DocumentsWriterPerThread.java:456)
>> > > > : at
>> > >
>> org.apache.lucene.index.DocumentsWriter.doFlush(DocumentsWriter.java:502)
>> > > > : at
>> > > > :
>> > >
>> org.apache.lucene.index.DocumentsWriter.maybeFlush(DocumentsWriter.java:456)
>> > > > : at
>> > > > :
>> > >
>> org.apache.lucene.index.DocumentsWriter.flushAllThreads(DocumentsWriter.java:649)
>> > > > : at
>> > > > :
>> > >
>> org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.prepareCommitInternal(IndexWriter.java:3712)
>> > > > : at
>> > >
>> org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.commitInternal(IndexWriter.java:4160)
>> > > > : at
>> org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.commit(IndexWriter.java:4122)
>> > > > : at
>> > > > :
>> > >
>> org.apache.solr.update.DirectUpdateHandler2.commit(DirectUpdateHandler2.java:872)
>> > > > : at
>> > > > :
>> > >
>> org.apache.solr.update.processor.RunUpdateProcessorFactory$RunUpdateProcessor.processCommit(RunUpdateProcessorFactory.java:100)
>> > > > : at
>> > > > :
>> > >
>> org.apache.solr.update.processor.UpdateRequestProcessor.processCommit(UpdateRequestProcessor.java:66)
>> > > > : at
>> > > > :
>> > >
>> org.apache.solr.update.processor.DistributedUpdateProcessor.doLocalCommit(DistributedUpdateProcessor
>> > > > :
>> > > > : - Rahul
>> > > > :
>> > > > : On Sat, Oct 10, 2026 at 5:57 PM Jan Høydahl <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>> > > > :
>> > > > : > The changelog lists "Dependency Upgrades (61 changes)"
>> > > > : > I thought we were to hand edit and de-duplicate that list.
>> > > > : >
>> > > > : > PS: Jetty 12.1.14 hits branch_10x soon, hope it can make it if
>> > > there's a
>> > > > : > respin.
>> > > > : >
>> > > > : > Jan
>> > > > : >
>> > > > : > > 10. okt. 2026 kl. 15:48 skrev Andrzej Białecki <[email protected]
>> >:
>> > > > : > >
>> > > > : > > Please vote for release candidate 2 for Solr 10.1.0
>> > > > : > >
>> > > > : > > The artifacts can be downloaded from:
>> > > > : > >
>> > > > : >
>> > >
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/solr/solr-10.1.0-RC2-rev-dfda5e1d4821958e60d13aa5ce3a0d4992319ed1
>> > > > : > >
>> > > > : > > You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:
>> > > > : > >
>> > > > : > > python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py \
>> > > > : > >
>> > > > : >
>> > >
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/solr/solr-10.1.0-RC2-rev-dfda5e1d4821958e60d13aa5ce3a0d4992319ed1
>> > > > : > >
>> > > > : > > You can build a release-candidate of the official docker
>> images
>> > > (full &
>> > > > : > slim) using the following command:
>> > > > : > >
>> > > > : > > SOLR_DOWNLOAD_SERVER=
>> > > > : >
>> > >
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/solr/solr-10.1.0-RC2-rev-dfda5e1d4821958e60d13aa5ce3a0d4992319ed1/solr
>> > > > : > && \
>> > > > : > >  docker build
>> > > > : > $SOLR_DOWNLOAD_SERVER/10.1.0/docker/Dockerfile.official-full \
>> > > > : > >    --build-arg SOLR_DOWNLOAD_SERVER=$SOLR_DOWNLOAD_SERVER \
>> > > > : > >    -t solr-rc:10.1.0-2 && \
>> > > > : > >  docker build
>> > > > : > $SOLR_DOWNLOAD_SERVER/10.1.0/docker/Dockerfile.official-slim \
>> > > > : > >    --build-arg SOLR_DOWNLOAD_SERVER=$SOLR_DOWNLOAD_SERVER \
>> > > > : > >    -t solr-rc:10.1.0-2-slim
>> > > > : > >
>> > > > : > > The vote will be open for 72 hours (not including the Sunday
>> and
>> > > > : > Columbus Day), i.e. until 2026-10-15 15:00 UTC.
>> > > > : > >
>> > > > : > > [ ] +1  approve
>> > > > : > > [ ] +0  no opinion
>> > > > : > > [ ] -1  disapprove (and reason why)
>> > > > : > >
>> > > > : > > Here is my +1
>> > > > : > > ----
>> > > > : > >
>> > > > : > > Cheers,
>> > > > : > > Andrzej
>> > > > : > >
>> > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> > > > : > > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
>> > > > : > > For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
>> > > > : > >
>> > > > : >
>> > > > : >
>> > > > : >
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> > > > : > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
>> > > > : > For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
>> > > > : >
>> > > > : >
>> > > > :
>> > > >
>> > > >
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> > > > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
>> > > > For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
>> > >
>> > >
>> > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> > > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
>> > > For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
>> > >
>> > >
>> >
>> What about highlighting to that community that we need a 10.4 release
>> ASAP, and seeing if that changes their timeline.  Judinging from the github
>> issue, they are filling in a number of missing verion releases, which of
>> couse makes it more work then just cutting a 10.4 release.  If they
>> committed to releasing a 10.4 in the next week, would that change things
>> for us?
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
>> For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
>>
>>

Reply via email to