On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 11:43:43AM +0100, Julian Foad wrote:
> Stefan Sperling wrote:
> > Keeping a matrix bridge to the current freenode channels alive means we're
> > not actually leaving this network. To support the former freenode staff it
> > makes more sense to switch IRC server *and* possibly look into a migration
> > to Matrix. I don't think these are conflicting goals.
>
> Yes, I think those two would go nicely together, and I expect we will see
> Matrix enthusiasts setting up bridging to the replacement alongside the
> original Freenode bridge for everyone. In fact I was surprised they didn't
> blog out about that the same day; I'm sure they will soon.

OK, then let's focus on a possible Freenode -> Libera move first.

Daniel Shahaf and myself have control of #svn and #svn-dev on Libera.
We could wait a little bit and see whether the new service is indeed stable.
Based on what I'm seeing so far it looks like a several communities have
successfully migrated already. The service is runing fine at the moment.

Another channel I run (#gameoftrees) has migrated successfully. This
channel has several users, including bots, who have re-joined our
channel on the new Libera service via their own Matrix bridge.

In order to signal our move to the new IRC service, I believe we should
mark our freenode channels as 'moved to libera.chat' in their topic lines,
as soon as we have consensus in this project that we indeed want to move.

Are there any objections to this?

My main goal here is to support the former freenode staff. I don't expect
that the existing freenode service will see disruption very soon, unless
freenode collapses entirely as a result of mass-migration elsewhere.
We could also decide to stay on freenode for now to wait and see.