On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 03:02:08PM +0200, Branko Čibej wrote:
> Every time I hear (or read) someone explaining how "one of my companies is
> funding this free service", I grab my wallet and run away. "Monetizing"
> community-lead and -created services has been a thing since before the
> Internet. This is probably no different.

It is going downhill faster than I expected, with policy changes like this:
https://github.com/freenode/web-7.0/pull/513/files#diff-0e382b024f696a3b7a0ff3bce24ae3166cc6f383d059c7cc61e0a3ccdeed522cL87
You are now welcome to use political, racial, ethnic, religious or
gender-related slurs on freenode. IRC trolls are going to love this.