Bruno Rodrigues wrote:

Bill Brigden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi,

It seems like a small thing, but could the reply-to be set to the list - as
I have replied to messages before and not replied to the list - so when
people look through archives it seems like some questions remain unanswered
when infact they may have done!

Also - a really small thing, but when replying to people, they reply to the
list and the poster, so people like me get 2 copies of the mail!

This is just what I have picked up on while being on the list - feel free to
shoot my comments down!

Adding Reply-To is opening a can of worms.

Good mailers have three options: reply to sender, reply to all and reply
to list. If we add Reply-To, you'll be always limited to reply to list,
unless you edit your To/CC addresses by hand.

What do you consider "good" mailing clients?
I did not see "reply to list" option in any one of the email clients i used...
And how would mailer "guess" that [EMAIL PROTECTED] is a list?..
This is not newsgroup, where [really] there should be "reply to group" option available in client...
So what really happens is no-matter-what in 90% cases when replying to a message from list you should edit the to/cc fields by hand to get the desired effect (which is "send message only to the list")
Pity... but thats what it is about...

But i agree that adding reply-to would not be good because list would explode of malicious content.

What maybe is posible is to make matching of addresses on the majordomo (or whatever is used) [vs. the to/cc headers] and exclude addresses which are already entitled as recipients from sending bulk for current message...
I am not sure this option exists, but i personally would think about implementing it if i would deal with mailinglists software :)

You should always only reply to list unless the other person askes to also reply to him ("Please also reply to me as I'm not subscribed to the list"). As we require subscription, this is not required and you should always reply only to list.

Besides, unfortunatly lots of people use broken mail agents, broken mail
servers and broken "vacation" scripts, and if you have Reply-To, you'll
get NDR's, virus and vacation notices to the list instead of going to
the
sender, which is very bad.

No Reply-To is common usage in most FreeSoftware's important mailing
lists and we'd like to keep it this way.

Regards,
Bill.