On Friday, October 28, 2016 12:17:13 AM CET Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > It is actually quite interesting, that while most of the development
> > happens in Rawhide, there is less sanity checks then for the Rawhide, so
> > if you screw up something in Rawhide, it will get into stable version
> > and you might not notice until you submit some stable update.
>
> So, if we are not running the checks periodically, we can at least run them
> the time we enable Bodhi on the new release branch. There is no actual need
> to run them all the time.

-1, those diffs are worth having a look as soon as possible.

> > * From time to time, there is necessary to build some framework, which
> > consist of several components which must be released together.
> > Currently, we either temporarily break Rawhide or we are asking for side
> > tag. But why not use koji for that? Users of stable releases are not
> > affected by incomplete builds, since the don't reach even the
> > update-testing without pushing via Bodhi.
>
> Users should be using a stable release, not Rawhide. Rawhide is for doing
> development, it is not meant to be used.

There's hidden potential, then.  I would say your statement is way too
strict anyway :), aren't you Rawhide user too?

Apropos more users on Rawhide (users seking for rolling updates) would
mean more Fedora users and that could acetually speed up the development..?

> > * And probably last think, why the Rawhide should be really exception?
> > Why we should not use Bodhi if we are using it anywhere else?
>
> Because it slows down the whole workflow. You would not be able to submit a
> build and move on, you would have to actually wait for it to complete and
> file an update. You also would not be able to do any chain builds.

That's truth, but are mechanisms even now to make this non-problem.

> > Lets use Bodhi for Rawhide, where the submitted update would immediately
> > go into Rawhide, unless maintainer wishes some testing period.
>
> Please no.

At lest optionally I would enjoy using bodhi in Rawhide for most of the stuff
(and if side tags were inexpensive for rel-eng/builsystem, I would use bodhi
happily for everything).

Pavel