Chris Murphy wrote:
> What happens on Fedora now, because applications are merged with the
> OS, there are application updates that end up making some unnecessary
> reboots compulsory. But with atomic + flatpak installations, there is
> much better separation of when reboots are necessary. OS updates don't
> need to happen as often, and only one reboot is needed, there no
> longer a long monolithic offline update process during which time the
> system can't be used. Applications can be separately updated, you
> don't have to reboot and I'm pretty sure you don't even have to quit
> the application during the update. Just quit and relaunch whenever,
> and now you're using the new version.

But you still refuse to acknowledge that the same is mostly true with RPM
updates in the real world unless one uses GNOME Software that forces offline
updates on everybody:
* If you update system packages, you reboot AFTER the update. It is not
  actually necessary to reboot FOR the update as GNOME Software does.
* If you update leaf applications, you just have to restart the application
  and not reboot at all. It depends on the application whether it actually
  needs to be restarted (which is the only place where the container helps).

And IMHO, the monolithic all-or-nothing approach of ostree is a drawback,
not an advantage.

        Kevin Kofler