On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 7:52 AM, Tom Hughes <t...@compton.nu> wrote:
> On 18/07/17 14:39, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 5:23 AM, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
>> <domi...@greysector.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Could you explain the benefits of Atomic system + few layered RPMs vs. a
>>> traditional Fedora installation?
>>

>> The OS itself is versioned and binary identical to any other
>> installation with the same version. There is no longer the
>> pathological behavior of everyone in effect having different sub
>> versions of Fedora because their package versions differ, because they
>> caught today's update, or yesterday's, or the before noon update, or
>> the one with the moon transitioning from crescent to gibbous.
>

> So what is the user experience of "updating" in this world? How does the
> transition from one snapshot to the next occur?

That's a matter of policy that has to be worked out, and more than one
policy is possible depending on contributions to make for a sane
UI/UX.  But under the hood the way it works with atomic host right
now, it's a CLI interaction with rpm-ostree upgrade (and other
subcommands like deploy, rebase, rollback).

The update happens out of band in its own tree, so there's no such
thing as yanking running binaries out from under a running system, and
no compulsory reboot. It means there's no longer a reboot to get into
the offline update mode, and then yet another reboot to use the
updated system. When you do reboot, you get a GRUB menu that has the
subversioned Fedora, e.g. Fedora 26.38 listed first and default and
Fedora 26.21 as the prior tree you were running. Like everything else,
the kernel version is baked into the subversion (some subversions may
not have upgraded the kernel).

My expectation in Gnome Software is it'll look a lot like it does now,
a split out OS update which you can click on and see a list of
binaries that are being updated and to what versions.

>> Also, how to copy / push such apps to workstations. We're going on 18
>> years since .app bundles on macOS can be drag and drop copied to
>> install, and it's like, really no one has copied this? The easiest way
>> to put a second copy on another machine is to just download it again?
>> That's silly.
>

> Well macOS stole "app as a directory" from RISC OS which pushes the idea
> back about 30 years ;-)

OK fine, but we should steal that. But this is not the biggest hill to
fight over. That flatpak consolidates applications to their own turf
and prevents them from sneezing all over the OS turf is really super.

--
Chris Murphy