On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 8:19 AM, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
<domi...@greysector.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 18 July 2017 at 15:39, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 5:23 AM, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
>> <domi...@greysector.net> wrote:
>>

>> > Could you explain the benefits of Atomic system + few layered RPMs vs. a
>> > traditional Fedora installation?
>>
>> The OS itself is versioned and binary identical to any other
>> installation with the same version. There is no longer the
>> pathological behavior of everyone in effect having different sub
>> versions of Fedora because their package versions differ, because they
>> caught today's update, or yesterday's, or the before noon update, or
>> the one with the moon transitioning from crescent to gibbous.
>
> "One size fits everyone" approach can be dangerous. It never does, in
> fact, fit everyone, and often sacrifices flexibility and resource usage
> for the convenience of a single image.
>
> I, for one, like to keep my installations minimal and I often uninstall
> optional (weak) dependencies manually. With Atomic base I wouldn't
> be able to modify the base easily on my system(s).

It's a layered approach. rpm-ostree does let you unlock the base and
install and remove RPMs. You could also run the server side component
that turns RPMs into ostrees yourself (locally or in cloud) and have
however many trees you want, and establish your own rebase policy for
your workstations.

--
Chris Murphy