El vie, 01-09-2017 a las 13:37 +0300, Marius Vollmer escribió:
> Hi,
>
> I hope that soon the first Cockpit add-on appears in the Fedora
> repositories.  Cockpit can find such add-ons via their AppStream
> metainfo data, similar to how GNOME Software finds applications to
> install for a desktop environment.
>
> Thus, we would need to install the appstream-data package also on a
> Server.
>
> This is a good enough first step, I guess, but appstream-data is
> quite
> big and mostly useless on a Server.  We don't need to know about all
> the
> desktop applications and their icons.
>

> So, what about creating a dedicated appstream-data-server package
> that
> carries only those components that we want to see on a Server?
>
> Initially, it would contain only components of type "addon" that
> extend
> "cockpit.desktop", and components of type "service".

The correct way to deal with appstream is to add the appstream data to
rpm headers and then teach createrepo to make the appropriate metadata
files. you would then have appropriate appdata in the server,
workstation etc repos, with per module repos you could have
apppropriately limited repos or we cwould need to make changes to
mirrormanager, how we build and ship updates, and limit users to
appropriate Server etc repos. the hack of how we build and ship it
today works but has a lot of issues with Race conditions etc.

Dennis