On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 12:33 PM, Richard Hughes <hughsi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4 September 2017 at 17:15, Dennis Gilmore <den...@ausil.us> wrote:
>> The correct way to deal with appstream is to add the appstream data to
>> rpm headers and then teach createrepo to make the appropriate metadata
>> files.
>
> I'm sure we've had this discussion before, but:
>
> * What happens if a single package contains two desktop files?
> * Would we embed a 32bit color 128x128 icon in the rpm header (10kb per app)?
> * Would we embed all the translations in the appdata file, or just the
> entire appdata file (92kb per app)?
> * Would we include the entire .desktop file and all the translations there
> too?
>
>> you would then have appropriate appdata in the server,
>> workstation etc repos
>
> We'd have larger rpms for no end-user gain. The metadata just has to
> exist long enough to be collected into one large AppStream file (and
> included in the metadata repomd. I see no gain whatsoever for
> distributing the single-package appstream metadata as part of the
> package download or included in the rpmdb. It's just a workaround,
> just the same as running appstream-builder+modifyrepo on a tree of
> built rpms is.

It sounds like it would make more sense for createrepo_c to link to
the AppStream builder library to handle AppStream metadata processing
as part of the createrepo_c repodata generation, wouldn't it? Then it
accomplishes the same goal without bloating the rpm headers with more
things that don't make sense in there.