On 4 September 2017 at 17:15, Dennis Gilmore <den...@ausil.us> wrote:
> The correct way to deal with appstream is to add the appstream data to
> rpm headers and then teach createrepo to make the appropriate metadata
> files.

I'm sure we've had this discussion before, but:

* What happens if a single package contains two desktop files?
* Would we embed a 32bit color 128x128 icon in the rpm header (10kb per app)?
* Would we embed all the translations in the appdata file, or just the
entire appdata file (92kb per app)?
* Would we include the entire .desktop file and all the translations there too?

> you would then have appropriate appdata in the server,
> workstation etc repos

We'd have larger rpms for no end-user gain. The metadata just has to
exist long enough to be collected into one large AppStream file (and
included in the metadata repomd. I see no gain whatsoever for
distributing the single-package appstream metadata as part of the
package download or included in the rpmdb. It's just a workaround,
just the same as running appstream-builder+modifyrepo on a tree of
built rpms is.

Richard.