----- Original Message -----

AFAIK there is no guideline for making the packagers responsible for
soft dependencies, or anything guiding how to check for those.

If anything, the people who care about that should draft something
to avoid those nuisances.

Again if someone sees their package as leaves within the distribution,
how could he be aware of anything requiring it outside the rpm level? At this
point I don't think anyone would even think of the change process for packages
that on the surface nothing depends on.

> There's a good reason we have the change deadlines we do - and
> honestly I think dropping a subpackage (as opposed to retiring which
> is more visible) is sufficiently disruptive (and annoyingly invisible
> otherwise) that it should go through the Change process.
>
> It's also bigger than firewalld - that's just the one that bit me the
> other day when trying to do owncloud testing.
>
> Do note that, despite my dislike for dropping the subpackage without
> an announced Change, the biggest issue I see here is the sheer lack of
> communication with out userbase with what is going on.

Regards,

Charalampos Stratakis
Software Engineer
Python Maintenance Team, Red Hat