On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 6:56 AM Kevin Kofler <kevin.kof...@chello.at> wrote:

> IMHO:
>
> Igor Gnatenko wrote:
> > * Do we want to support "buildroot-only" packages?
>
> No, because this contradicts both the transparency expected from a
> community-developed project and the self-hosting expectations.

I think there's some confusion about what a "buildroot-only" module
stream is meant to be (at least aspirationally; until Ursa Major we
didn't have the technical implementation for this).

What a "buildroot-only" module should be is a module stream that we
discourage from use at runtime. This does *not* preclude it from being
shipped in the public repositories. Prior to Ursa Major, we didn't
have any way to get these streams into the non-modular buildroot, so
they effectively became modular-dependency-only streams. With recent
changes to support Ursa Major, this problem would go away.

The ideal behavior would be for there to be UX that lets users know
that if they enable one of these streams, it's
unsupported/unsupportable (such as if they tried to use a
stripped-down version of a build tool). The module streams have a
"description" field that we should require to contain this
information, as well as setting the "api" field to an empty list. I
don't see any reason that we couldn't then ship these streams in the
public repos, unless I'm forgetting something.