> -1 for the change. If the so called 'end-user' (whatever does it mean)
> can learn git, she or he can also learn 'vi' or at least how to enable
> the preferred editor. Personally, I can see nothing special on the
> nano, for me it qualifies as very poor editor

I feel you're completely missing the point, it's about a straight
foward to understand editor by default so they aren't scared away
before they even learn what an environment variable is, it's not about
being the best most special editor. They may well have learned how to
use git on windows or Mac before moving to Linux. I would flip this
around and say anyone who knows vim enough should know how to change
their default editor.

Peter