On Sun, Feb 7, 2021 at 2:08 AM Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I discovered today that there's a new replacement for memtest86+ that
> appears to even have UEFI support called PCMemTest[0].
>
> The main reason I call out to this is because we don't have a memory
> tester offering in our UEFI boot variant for the Fedora live media,
> and this is actively maintained (unlike memtest86+, which we currently
> use...).
>
> Mageia is shipping this starting with Mageia 8[1], and we should
> consider shipping this with Fedora 34.

* A listed limitation: "When booted on a UEFI system, keyboard input
will only be seen if the CSM is enabled in the BIOS. Without this, the
test will run, but you will be unable to alter the configuration."

- How does a CSM provide keyboard input to an EFI application? Or does
this mean with CSM enabled, we'd use the BIOS version of the memory
tester; and with CSM disabled, we'd use the UEFI version of the memory
tester?

- As far as I'm aware, enabling CSM requires disabling UEFI Secure Boot.

* Any UEFI memory tester needs to be signed with Fedora's signing key,
same as grubx64.efi so that it works with UEFI Secure boot enabled.

--
Chris Murphy