On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 4:47 PM Martin Whitaker
<mailing-li...@martin-whitaker.me.uk> wrote:

> On 07/02/2021 22:23, Chris Murphy wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 7, 2021 at 2:08 AM Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hey all,
> >>
> >> I discovered today that there's a new replacement for memtest86+ that
> >> appears to even have UEFI support called PCMemTest[0].
> >>
> >> The main reason I call out to this is because we don't have a memory
> >> tester offering in our UEFI boot variant for the Fedora live media,
> >> and this is actively maintained (unlike memtest86+, which we currently
> >> use...).
> >>
> >> Mageia is shipping this starting with Mageia 8[1], and we should
> >> consider shipping this with Fedora 34.
> >

> > * A listed limitation: "When booted on a UEFI system, keyboard input
> > will only be seen if the CSM is enabled in the BIOS. Without this, the
> > test will run, but you will be unable to alter the configuration."
> >
> > - How does a CSM provide keyboard input to an EFI application? Or does
> > this mean with CSM enabled, we'd use the BIOS version of the memory
> > tester; and with CSM disabled, we'd use the UEFI version of the memory
> > tester?
>
> On all the machines in my possession, enabling the CSM enables emulation
> of the keyboard controller ports (ports 0x60 and 0x64), even when booted
> in UEFI mode. That may not be true for all BIOSs of course.

OK. I'm confused (not unusual) and also ignorant of how the keyboard
driver situation works on UEFI without the CSM enabled. Because
without it enabled, I definitely have working keyboard on all my
systems in EFI shell. That suggests the keyboard driver is available,
isn't due to GRUB providing one.

I see GRUB has usb_keyboard.mod but I don't see it as one of the
modules we're baking into Fedora's grubx64.efi.
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/grub2/blob/rawhide/f/grub.macros

I guess I'm trying to figure out the scope of the "does not have
working keyboard with native UEFI plus Secure Boot" problem.

> > - As far as I'm aware, enabling CSM requires disabling UEFI Secure Boot.
>
> Probably so. At which point you are limited to running the memory tests
> with the default configuration (which is to run all tests using a single
> processor).
>
> As I don't use secure boot, I wasn't really motivated to start writing a
> replacement keyboard driver.

Yeah I definitely do not want Fedora in a position where anyone has to
give users advice like "you need to disable UEFI Secure Boot" in order
to do X. Be it testing RAM or anything else.

--
Chris Murphy